Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a surge in interest worldwide in supporting nonprofits and giving back to communities in need. Donor-advised funds (DAFs) Fidelity Charitable and Schwab Charitable both reported spikes in charitable giving in 2020, with funds mostly going toward community organizations, food programs, and help for the homeless — and this generosity will likely continue in future months.
As a financial planner, you’ve probably been having conversations with your clients about charitable giving and tax strategies, such as utilizing a DAF or creating a timetable for giving. But what are some unique and meaningful ways you, as a financial planner, can give back? In today’s blog post, we highlight some ways you can give back by volunteering your time and talents and donating resources and money.
- Offer pro bono advice to those financially impacted. Consider providing free financial planning services, such as emergency continuity planning for businesses and nonprofits and budgeting advice for individuals.
- Donate funds to local, national, and global charitable organizations that help those affected by COVID-19. You can donate to charities focusing on medical services, relief supplies, education, and more. If you’re not sure where to donate, look at Charity Navigator’s list of nonprofits that are helping communities impacted by COVID-19. And with the crisis disproportionately impacting women and worsening the gender gap, consider donating funds that support women.
- Donate supplies. Do you have any extra N95 respirator masks, hand sanitizer, gloves, or other essential materials in storage? Consider donating them to public health nonprofits and organizations. Also donate food to food banks if you can.
- Host and bring awareness to virtual fundraisers. As a financial planner, you’re a leader and an influential person in your community. Use your platform and role as a connector in your community to raise awareness about current virtual fundraisers going on, such as virtual walks, Facebook Watch Parties, online auctions, and virtual concerts, talent shows, or open mics. Share them on social media or in your newsletter, and consider hosting your own virtual fundraiser for a cause you care about. You can host these virtual fundraisers through social media platforms like Facebook or through fundraising software like OneCause, Donate Kindly, Soapbox Engage, and DonorsChoose.
- Provide free educational COVID-19 resources. Write blog posts and/or newsletters explaining the federal relief package and other topics to help people navigate this uncertain time.
At Equita Financial Network, we know the power of community. When each of us gives back even just a little, we can move mountains. We’ve written on the blog before about how, as women, there is tremendous strength in our ability to collaborate, and in our empathy, compassion, drive, and intelligence. Now let’s apply that to helping our communities get through this crisis.
We’d love to hear how your financial planning firm is giving back during this time. Let us know!